While studying in Canada, you may look for a place to live. Luckily for you, Montreal has many options to choose from. The city has over 800 hotels, hostels and bed-and-breakfasts, which can accommodate every budget and style. But if you’d like more privacy or comfort than that offers—and you’re willing to pay for it—several furnished apartments are available within walking distance of the Concordia campus.

Scholarships for housing

These scholarships are available to international students from all countries and for all programs, levels of study and income. Students can also apply for a scholarship if they have been accepted by a university in Quebec but have not yet received their student visa. These scholarships include:

  • The Foundation does Canadiens-Unis offer several housing scholarships for international students. These include grants of up to $7000 per year towards housing fees while studying at McGill University in Montreal or Concordia University in Montreal. They also offer grants of up to $12,000 per year towards tuition fees at any Canadian undergraduate university (excluding Quebec universities).
  • The Quebec government offers the Fonds du Programme d’aide au Logement (FRAPAL) as part of its financial assistance program for students who need help paying their rent while studying full-time at an approved post-secondary institution within the province of Québec. FRAPAL funds 3500 new applicants each year with a monthly grant ranging from $300 – $900 depending on household size and total rent paid by the applicant/s while living off campus (upgrades/downgrades not permitted).
International student housing on campus

On-campus housing is an excellent option for international students. It can be cheaper than off-campus housing and more convenient as well. But it is also more expensive than off-campus options and lacks the flexibility of private accommodations.

Once you’ve decided which type of student accommodation best suits your needs, the next step is to choose a campus near you!

Living off-campus
  • Off-campus housing is an excellent option for students, especially if you want to live in one of the city’s many vibrant neighbourhoods.
  • You can find roommates online through Craigslist, Kijiji, or your school or university.
  • Finding roommates through friends or colleagues already living in Montreal and looking for someone new to share their apartment with is also possible.
Finding an apartment
  • Look at different options. There are many types of housing that you can choose from, such as:
  • Apartments
  • Condominiums
  • Townhouses

If you’re unfamiliar with what these three types of housing offer, there are plenty of resources online where students can learn about them in detail. When deciding which type of apartment or condo to rent, consider the following factors: price, location, amenities and floor plan. Also, consider the other people living with you and their compatibility with your lifestyle and interests.

Getting roommate(s)

Finding a roommate is easier when you already know someone. You can also use social media to find a roommate, but it’s best to talk to someone in person before deciding on one. There are also roommate finder websites and services that you can use to help you find the right person for your needs.

You should ensure that both parties are interested in living together before signing anything official. It’s essential that both of you agree on how much rent will be paid each month, what bills will be shared by each person, how long the lease period is, who takes out the trash and cleans bathrooms (and where they do it), what dishes need to be cleaned first etc.

How much does apartment rental cost in Montreal?

A quick search on Craigslist reveals that rental prices can vary widely depending on location. For example, a one-bedroom apartment on the Plateau (Montreal’s most expensive neighbourhood) will cost between $1,000 and $2,000 monthly. On the other hand, an apartment in Saint-Henri or Rosemont could be rented out for as little as $500 or even $400 per month.

The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Montreal is around $800 to $900/per month. This number can fluctuate wildly depending on your location and whether you are willing to live in an area with higher crime rates if it saves money on rent.

You're not alone; there are many resources you can use to find a place to live.

You’re not alone; there are many resources you can use to find a place to live. Whether you decide to search for housing on your own or enlist the help of someone else, here are some steps to getting started:

  • Start looking online. Your school or university may have a list of landlords who accept international students and their families as tenants. You can also try searching on Google and other websites that allow people to post available apartments in Montreal (such as Kijiji).
  • Ask your school or university for help finding properties that cater specifically
In Canada, students can work on and off campus without a work permit

In Canada, students can work on and off campus without a work permit. However, they must be enrolled in a full-time program at a university or college to qualify for the study permit. If you plan on studying in Montreal, check out this guide on getting your student visa!

To find housing in Montreal, some students need an agent or real estate agent specializing in finding accommodations near their school. They can also use other resources such as Craigslist or Airbnb if they wish not to have the hassle of meeting landlords face-to-face since many places will require interviews before renting out rooms/apartments.”

International students must be enrolled in a full-time program at a university or college to qualify for the study permit

To work in Canada, international students must be enrolled in a full-time program at a university or college to qualify for the study permit. You must have a valid study permit to work in Canada. You must also be enrolled in an eligible program at a designated learning institution that your government or country has approved of residence.

A designated learning institution offers courses leading to recognized qualifications for professional practice, academic research, or as part of an academic degree (e.g., bachelor’s).

Homestay is one of the accommodation options for international students in Montreal.

Homestay is one of the accommodation options for international students in Montreal. Students who choose homestay will live with a local family and attend school with their host families’ children.

Homestay is a good option for students who want to live with a local family, learn about Canadian culture and practice English as much as possible. Families are screened by the school and require an interview process before they can host international students worldwide!

The benefits of homestay include:

  • Being surrounded by other international students living nearby makes it easy to connect with new friends or make plans together;
  • Accessing information about events happening around town (e.g., concerts) through your host family;
Homestay involves living with a Canadian family, including meals and room and board.

Homestay is a great way to immerse yourself in the local culture. Many homestays are available for international students, with some offering private rooms and others requiring you to share a room with another student or two. In either case, you will live with a host family and enjoy home-cooked meals during your stay in Montreal.

Although this arrangement requires more commitment from you than other housing options, it can be gratifying because it enables you to live like a local—you’ll eat what they eat and go about your day just as they do!

Students can stay with the host family or live in their private rooms

Students can stay with the host family or live in their private rooms. The host families have agreed to provide accommodation for one or two international students. International students can also rent a private room if they prefer not to live with a family.

This option is suitable for those looking for more privacy and independence from their hosts, but it does come at a price. Students will usually pay up to $1000/month for this type of accommodation, so this should be considered when deciding whether you’re prepared for such expenses!

Students can work part-time in Canada but need a SIN number

If you’re an international student planning to work part-time in Canada, you must apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN). Service Canada, the government social security agency, will issue this number. You’ll find out if your application has been approved when they send you a letter confirming it. You can get this information online at Services Canada.

Or, once you’ve found out whether or not your application was successful, go down to your local post office, where they’ll give it to you on the spot! Students must understand that getting a SIN number does not mean they are allowed to work outside of their studies—it simply allows them access to institutions such as hospitals or libraries because these organizations require an official identification number before employment can begin.


It can be a little overwhelming initially to figure out how to find an apartment in Montreal, but don’t worry! There are many resources available that can help you find a place to live.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *